Sunday, July 14, 2013

Lower Galley Cabinet? Buh-Bye!

I'll reiterate:  I have absolutely NO idea what I'm doing!

But I did more of it today, by taking out the lower galley cabinet.  Not only will the space accommodate the dresser and fridge I plan on installing, but it will make it easier to repair the damaged front wall and floor.


"Before" shots:  lower galley cabinet.....
.....and sink.

The sink had to come out first, which necessitated a quick Home Depot run for a bigger wrench.  The threaded fitting on the pipe was easy to loosen, then the six clip-things that were holding the sink to the cabinet were removed (just screws, so that part was easy).  Then it got a little tougher:  because the putty was old old old, the metal ring holding the sink to the cabinet just wouldn't budge, so I had to go at it with the chisel/pry thingy (and yes, that IS the technical term.....).  It's a good thing I didn't need to salvage the metal ring, because it got chewed up.  Once the metal ring was up and the sink was loose, it was just a matter of a few more turns of the wrench and out it popped.  The sink was in the way of being able to see underneath the faucets, so once it was out, it was easy to remove those, too.



Now that the sink and faucets were out, it's easy to just demo the cabinet, right?  Not so much.  It was a lot harder than I thought:  the builders put that little trailer together well!  But, that's what tools are for:


If at first you don't succeed with a crow bar.....


.....try a big-ass rubber mallet.

Whacking, prying, pulling, and pushing with my feet is probably not standard operating procedure for removing a cabinet, but hey, it worked.  Piece by piece, the cabinet came apart until it was a pile of debris outside the trailer door:


Success!  The space is now cleared so Lil' Chick's makeover can continue!


After cleaning everything up in the Chick, I gave Stella, my 2012 A-frame trailer, some love and a nice soapy bath.  What a fun way to spend a Sunday:  playing with my trailers!
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment