Friday, July 5, 2013

Icebox, Trim Strip, and Linoleum Removal

Finally!  After several weeks of non-activity in Lil' Chick because of travel (to San Francisco for training for work and then to Alaska for my daughter's first marathon and a vacation), I was able to jump back into the trailer today for some more demo-ing.

First on the list:  remove the icebox.  I had posted a question on the Tin Can Tourists Facebook page on how to remove the icebox that was surrounded in what looked like a spray-on insulating foam of some type:

 
I just assumed that I would have to some how chip away that foam in order to pull the icebox out of its hole in the wall; it seemed too bulky to make it through the hole.  Helpful responders gave great advice on removing the foam (use an electric knife and be sure to mask- and glove-up), but a FB friend said I shouldn't have to remove the foam, just pull the icebox out. 

So this morning I went out armed with a screwdriver, took out the four screws that were holding the icebox in, and just popped it right out.  He was right:  didn't have to remove the foam at all.  I assumed it had been applied after the icebox had been installed; it just never occurred to me that they would've put the foam on before the icebox was put into the wall.



Icebox before.....


.....and after.

I wanted to completely clear out the closet area, so I also removed the icebox support strut:


Before.....


.....and after
Removal of the icebox really opens up the closet area, which I'll be utilizing since I'll be losing some of the lower galley cabinet space when I put in the new fridge.  A small lightweight wire rack shelving system will be a good solution for this space.

After the icebox was out, I started removing the floor trim pieces.  This proved a lot more challenging, because many of the screws were rusted and stuck in place.  I started out by carefully removing the trim so I could salvage and clean and polish and re-use it, but some of the pieces had to be manhandled to get them off - so Lil' Chick will get new floor trim when the time comes.  Some screws just wouldn't budge at all, even after repeated coaxing by the screwdriver-and-hammer-whack method; I squirted them with WD-40, went inside for some Facebook time, and they had loosened up enough to get them out.  Some, however, didn't some out AT ALL, so I had to pry the trim piece off; some gouges and battle scars were left in the wood, but I'll repair them as best as I can and they shouldn't be too visible once primer and paint go on.

Streetside bench floor trim before.....
.....and after.


Rear bench floor trim before.....


.....and after.


Curbside bench floor trim before.....


.....and after.


Entry floor trim before.....


.....and after.


Galley floor trim before.....
.....and after.


Floor trim outside closet before.....
.....and after.  The area in the left corner is where
the chemical spill occurred before I bought her, so the
area is more damaged than the rest of the floor.
Once I had all the floor trim off, I saw that the avocado green linoleum was just laying on top of the original linoleum - it wasn't glued or nailed down.  So up and out it came!


Dinette area linoleum before.....
.....and after.
Entry way linoleum before.....
.....and after.
If I were attempting an authentic restoration, this original linoleum is in such good shape that I could probably just give it a good cleaning and leave it in place.

It was a good, productive day in Lil' Chick! 



No comments:

Post a Comment